The Watermelon Thump in Luling, Texas is a four day Festival of fun, music and WATERMELON!!
Watermelon says “Summer” like nothing else. Thousands enjoy this timeless Texas tradition honoring the nutritious, wonderful watermelon. The Watermelon Thump hosts a giant parade, continuous live entertainment, world championship seed spitting contest, carnival, arts and crafts and much more!!
Past year’s festival performers have included William Clark Green, Jason Boland, Sam Riggs, American Aquarium, The Dirty River Boys, and Josh Abbott. This year, for the 64th Annual Luling Watermelon Thump, the festival is presenting a blast from the past of country music, and the Thump Committee is looking for an opening act to kick things off Saturday…and it could be you!!! That’s right, it’s a Battle of the Bands, and it’s open to YOU! It’s your chance to perform in front of thousands (the festival averages 35,000) of people, win $1,200 and open for a country music hall of famer and six time Grammy award winner (which will be announced in April) and the legendary DIAMOND RIO! Known for playing every note on every album, Diamond Rio recently celebrated their 25th Anniversary, has sold more than 10 million albums, won a Grammy Award, a Dove Award, six Vocal Group of the Year wins (CMA and ACM), released two Greatest Hit albums, a live and Christmas project, earned five multi-week no. 1 singles, 22 Top 10 singles, three certified Platinum and five gold albums, released an autobiography – and with zero band member changes!! Now it’s your chance to share the stage with two country music icons! Check out the rules below to find out how to enter!
1. Bands must submit the entry form found on Texas Music Picker’s website by March 4, 2017. Bands may only submit one entry and MUST FILL IN ALL REQUIRED INFORMATION. Each band must submit a LIVE performance video of some fashion, where music and vocals can be clearly heard and upload a FULL-BAND recorded track. (Production value will not influence any decision; videos from phones are perfectly fine, as long as we can hear the vocals and music).
Performance videos can be full band, solo acoustic, or somewhere in between. Click here to see examples of the videos we’re looking for. They must accurately reflect what we can expect to see and hear during your live performance. Bands also must submit an audio recording of 1 original song that was written and performed solely by band members who will be performing during the contest. The songs cannot be “covers” of other bands’ songs.
Contestants are encouraged to submit an additional video, recorded track, and supplemental information.
Bands must also submit a non-refundable $20 entry fee. Contestants will not be considered until they submit their entry fee and will be disqualified from consideration if they do not submit it before March 4, 2017. The entry fee can be paid via paypal to the email address: email@example.com. Or checks can be sent to:
Texas Music Pickers
1715 11th Street
Huntsville, Texas 77340
10 bands will be selected for the contest and winning selections will notified no later than March 11, 2017 (more than likely, we will be able to notify all selected bands by March 6th). We will also select 5 Alternate Bands. These bands will be able to take the place of one of the 10 bands incase they are not able to compete.
Name of Band:
YouTube Video 1 (Live Performance):
$20 Contest Fee
YouTube Video 2:
Recorded Track 2:
Band’s Social Media 1:
Band’s Social Media 2:
*If you’re having trouble with the form, you can just submit the info to our email: firstname.lastname@example.org
2. The contest will take place on April 22nd, 2017 in Luling, Texas. Bands must be prepared to play a set of at least 30 minutes (please not to exceed 30 minutes, points will be deducted for going over your allotted time) and should play predominately original music. Bands are responsible for providing their own instruments. Sound will be provided. Bands will play on two alternating stages. The contest is expected to start at 4:00 PM and conclude at 10:00 PM. Hunter Rea Band will play a 90 minute closing set beginning at 10:30. We plan to announce the winners at 12:00 Midnight.
3. Bands must consist of at least two members, one of which plays an instrument throughout the majority of the performance. The entire performance must be live – no prerecorded music is allowed. All bands will all receive a $100 in order to help with traveling expenses.
4. There will be a required band/organizer meeting at 3:00 PM at The Luling Watermelon Thump Pavilion on the day of show that needs to be attended by at least one band representative. Bands will meet the organizers in charge of the event who will introduce the performance area and go over last minute announcements.
5. Upon the conclusion of the show, 1 winner will be awarded an opening spot at the Luling Watermelon Thump Festival, on June 24th, which pays $1,200! The winning band will also receive a Banner proclaiming them 2017 Thump BOB Watermelon Jam winner.
6. All competing bands are strongly encouraged to promote the contest and spread the word regarding the event amongst their fan base, as crowd interaction and response will be part of the judging criteria.
7. Any distasteful behavior, and/or damage to the stage or surrounding equipment or supplies will result in an automatic disqualification at the hands of the committee and judges.
8. Judging is done on a 1 -10 scale, in 4 categories, by 3 judges. Bands will be judged on Music, Vocal Ability, Song Quality, and Stage Presence. The audience will also get to vote, so BRING YOUR FANS!!!
9. The style of music will need to be closely related to the style of festival performers which is: Country, Folk, Americana, Blues, Southern Rock, or something similar.
10. All bands agree to have their name, voice, and/or likenesses used in any advertising or broadcasting material relating to this contest without any compensation or rights to royalties for such use. The Luling Watermelon Thump Association reserves the right to video and record the performances and use the videos and recordings in their media efforts.
11. Wristbands will be given to finalist band members plus one guest each and two road team members.